WHERE I WAS WHEN THE LAST BIT WAS POSTED

EXCITING NEWS
I am approaching this blog a bit differently as the lag is killing me!
From now on I will alternate between a blog that is current and a blog that is retrospective...
it should mean something like this:
Izmir- Paris - Istanbul - London - Singapore - Athens - Langkawi - Madrid - Langkawi - Sevilla - Langkawi - Madrid - Vietnam - Vietnam - Vietnam ....

Or something like that!
Then you will be as disorientated as I am but also have a taste of where I am nowish!

Sunday, July 25, 2010

one night in Bangkok... er I mean Singapore or where-ever I am

This weekend I went it alone - well except for Oscar and Pokey.
I had a great time adventuring - tackled the city orientating myself through the EASIEST ever transport system... but to overcrowded streets to hunt down a memory card reader for my camera - turns out I could have got one across the road but thats beside the point!
I then headed out to the arab quarters after taking a wrong turn that found me outside a chinese temple alive with prayer, incense and lotus flower offerings... I'd show you the pics but I can't get camera to work (over exposed pics... sigh).
ANyway the Arab quarters are not as slick as other parts of Singapore but more "earthy"... the carpet sellers were quite slick and I may pop back in January! Of course I'm not buying up at the mo and I had already chowed down on tea eggs and such so I was just pokin around (bought a nice sarong for poolside) PEOPLE WATCHING my favourite sport!
I'll get back to poolside later.
I came back to walk the fellas and put my feet up ... well briefly... then I head back out to watch fireworks at the marina - cos I took the scenic route I arrive JUST in time to catch them as I walked down - pics taken on iPhone - not bad considering! These are "practice" fireworks in readiness for the national day here in August... they don't like fucking things up... and they don't!... This is a new and stupendous complex - quite impressive... as is the light show etc...












Then I toddled home via a hawkers stall for sambal chicken...

Today began idyllically. It's been quite nippy here 29degrees but mostly cloudy. Today sunshine. SO after the a brekky of new fruits (see pic) called Red Jambu (a gentle perfume - crunch of a nashi and then a subtle sourness) and lychees



I took the dogs for a stroll... then headed to the pool.








DIVINE. me and one family (frolicing in kiddy pool) in a pool the size of Brunny but far more picturesque. A spa then I headed back upstairs to get ready for...

a haircut - they wash your hair here while you're in the chair!!! The best head massage EVER - my favourite part of haircut experiences - hair not radically different - a trim really.



Then lunch in this "food court" really common here but DON'T think of the ones back home, here the food is good quality, much variety and yum - I ended it with a fresh coconut juice in its shell. NB one still called "pig innards and herbal soup" or something of the like




Then I came home and kicked back (cos it'd been such a hard day) ... trying to "fix" camera... listening to a book and then reading up on Turkey

John and Leone came back and we went out for dinner (venison in pepper sauce) and a chat about local culture and their lives here - an intriguing insight... I'm still getting my head around this place.

anyways all pics are from my iPhone...
My blogs wont be as regular or as detailed but while I have the queen o such things at my disposal (Leone) I am gonna try and learn it all
Lisa :)

2 comments:

Leone Fabre said...

The 'soup' would have been Pig Organ Soup if you mean over at the food court at West Mall .. :-)

Here is one of my blog postings on the fresh fruit that is around this area:

http://leonefabre.blogspot.com/2009/04/fresh-fruit-of-malaysia.html

Unknown said...

enjoying your journey :) I want a swim !!! :)